I’m Jonathan Wilson (a.k.a Risky), the creator, artist & webmonster for Shinyverse Comics. I graduated in January 2005 from the Queensland University of Technology, and now live & work in Melbourne (Australia). Most of my days are consumed by my profession, but when time allows I love to draw and create comics. Aside from that I also love to listen to a wide variety of music, read books, write in my blog and/or diary, sketch in coffee shops, and procrastinate into the early hours with video games.
Just in case you’re wondering what inspires me or where I get my ideas from, I’d have to be honest and say it’s a huge mish mash of comics, cartoons, music, movies, anime, manga, graphic novels, regular novels, and other artists… to name just the essential sources. But I know you want me to be a more specific, so…
1) I’m of the opinion that the Sandman series written by Neil Gaiman is a true work of art in the form of a graphic novel. The benchmark for comics, for which all others should aspire to reach.
2) I’m a huge fan of Rob Zombie, Quentin Tarrantino, Robert Rodriguez and the whole plup/grindhouse genre.
3) I think personally that Stanley Kubrick was and Tim Burton still is a modern day cinematic genius.
4) I absolutely love the Lucha Libre comic series by Jerry Frissen from Muttpop.
5) Lastly, I love so much of the works done by Andy Warhol, Jim Lee, Jonny Duddle & Ian McConville.
I’m an avid user of Adobe Photoshop, I love my Wacom Cintiq 12WX and each comic page for ShinyVerse could take anything from only a couple of hours to well over twenty to produce. So if you like my work and are wondering if I’d be interested in taking comissions you’re in luck! Please feel free to drop me a line and let me know that you’d like to take me up on the offer. Or if you’re not quite so inclined, you could instead take a look at some of my previous work in the ‘sketchbook’ page, or otherwise you might read the comics & news posts for more of my meandering thoughts.